Sunday, December 20, 2009

Another friendly family competition...




Candy and cookies and icing - oh my!!
This is what happens when Sister buys gingerbread kits, sends us out for bulk candy, and we have a few hours to visit. Team M, Team H and Team Carly. We're not really competitive but there may have been some idea-defense strategies in place, serious architectural debates and some creative use of fruit leather....
Another afternoon of good clean fun.

Team M:
Note the fruit leather chimney complete with twist-tie smoke....

Team H:
Fruit leather bricks on the path.... Sister was displeased that the kit did NOT contain pieces for a three-dimensional chimney. She promptly stole Dad's chimney and dissected the gingerbread man in order to create the other two sides. (Oooohhhh nOooooo, not the gumdrop buttons!!!)

Team Carly:
A license plate (HOH OHO), taillights and a Chev logo. Inside joke here - the cookies were attached to each other and when I went to separate them, they got a bit crushed. So I made a remark about how I must have been driving. Hence the Chev logo. No winners were declared but I think it's pretty obvious, don't you?? Heehee.

Nostalgia ran amuck this weekend. And in days of yore, when one of the women in our large bunch of matriarchs was making buns, we children were given a chunk of dough in order to make a BunMan. It took us many years to learn that finer details were obscured by the final rise but we tried, time and again, to convey the true essence of our creations. This time, I skipped the raisin face.

Look like anyone you know?

4 comments:

  1. All the gingerbread creations turned out beautiful! The attention to detail on the reindeer's attire brought a smile to my face. Well done!

    Your BunMan looks like how I feel from snacking HEAVILY on holiday goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun way to spend an afternoon. We had homemade chicken noodle soup and cookie making with our 3-year-old granddaughter (oh, and her mommy, daddy, and 1 1/2-year-old brother). Such a good time. The start of a new Christmas tradition I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this reminds me... we still need to do ours. I'm loving that sleigh and those reindeer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love turning anything into a competition! Go gingerbread architects! How fun.
    Rebecca of the R&W Gals

    ReplyDelete

Who doesn't love comments? I appreciate every single one and try to reply to each. Unless you're a no-reply commenter. Then I can't. And I have a little sad moment. Like a dropped ice cream cone. So if you're a no-reply commenter and have a question, check the comment thread and I'll try to reply there. :-)